Corpus Christi Hooks, Boooooone and pulling tarp.

0812_boone_closeup.jpgCORPUS CHRISTI — Although he’s a good 10-15 years older than most players who comprise the Corpus Christi Hooks roster, Aaron Boone fits in quite well here.

In his Hooks t-shirt and shorts — standard attire for batting practice in 99 degree temps at Whataburger Field — Boone falls into place during fielding drills and takes batting practice with his group as scheduled, three hours before the Double-A Hooks game with the Arkansas Travelers. But Boone isn’t like the other guys, of course. The other guys are working their way up to the big leagues. Boone is working his way back.

Only five months have passed since Boone stood in front of his Astros teammates before a meaningless Spring Training game in March and shocked them with the news that he would soon need heart surgery, and that his season, and career, could very well be over.

Apparently, those two prognostications were a bit hasty. Boone has a very realistic chance to return to the Major Leagues this year, and if he completes the plan he recently mapped out with general manager Ed Wade, he’ll join the Astros as early as Sept. 1, when rosters expand to 40.

Boone is currently on an extended rehab assignment, beginning with the Double-A Hooks, where he played first base Wednesday night. Eventually, he’ll work his way to Triple-A Round Rock, and after that, Houston.

The quick comeback has surprised many around the game, but Boone is neither shocked nor overwhelmed by what he’s attempting to do. And don’t look for him to wax poetic about realizing his own mortality after the health scare — he talks very matter-of-factly about everything — the surgery, the recovery, and the comeback attempt.

“It’s not like I’ve sat back and reflected on it,” he said. “I’m living it, and it’s been about getting better. I feel ready to try and do this.”

The Spring Training meeting with his teammates was “a very emotional day,” he said, more emotional that he anticipated. “But once it was over,” he added, “it was about, ‘OK, let’s get this (surgery) scheduled. Let’s get on with it. Let’s get going.”

And once the doctors told him the surgery went exactly as planned, Boone turned his attention back to the baseball season.

“I knew the timeline might allow me to do this,” he said. “I still love playing and I feel like I owe trying this thing to myself, to the Astros, who have been unbelievable to me, the people who have contacted me who have had heart issues, and general people that have come up and are pulling for me. That’s good motivation.”

His isn’t scared to walk away, however. “I’m not addicted to the game,” he said. “If it ended tomorrow, that would be cool, too.”



So I’m here in Corpus for a couple of days, not only to catch up with Boooooone, but also to talk to some of the Astros’ up-and-coming prospects. I had a nice chat with catcher Jason Castro the (future) Astro, which I’ll post in the next day or so. I’m also hoping to catch up with Chia-Jen Lo (and, more importantly, Chia-Jen Lo’s interpreter) before I leave Thursdsay night.

Castro and Lo are probably the closest to the big leagues of this group, but I’m also intrigued by outfielder Drew Locke, an offensive juggernaut who was hitting .325 with 18 homers and 101 RBIs heading into Wednesday’s game.

The Astros picked up Locke from the Dodgers during the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft last December. As a corner outfielder, he would appear to be blocked by a couple of mainstays in Houston. But I wouldn’t discard the possibility of making room from an offensively-sound corner outfielder who possibly could play first base. At the very least, he’s someone to keep an eye on.

Fun facts:
In the five-year history of the Corpus Christi Hooks, 25 have eventually reached the big leagues.

Twenty-four have played for the Hooks after playing in the big leagues.

The most expensive ticket at Whataburger Field is $12, and that’s only if you buy the ticket the day of the game.  Advance tickets cost no more than 10 bucks, and general admission is $5. The ballpark is awesome, the seating area is comfortable and close to the field. It’s simply a great place to spend a night out with the family.



Being in Corpus Christi makes me realize how far Minor League Baseball has come in the last decade or so. The ballparks sparkle, the player facilities are top rate and the fan experience is first-class. New ballparks aren’t just a trend in the big leagues — in the last decade, countless new Minor League stadiums have gone up all over the country — quaint, classy venues that provide a comfortable, fun and most importantly, affordable, place for a family to watch a ball game.

This is in stark contrast to my own Minor League experience, which dates back to 1996, when I worked for the Double-A Cleveland Indians in Canton, OH. The Canton-Akron Indians (original, huh?) were playing their last year at the old Thurman Munson Stadium before moving a half-hour north to Akron, where the club would reside in a brand new ballpark and rename themselves the Akron Aeros.

As nice as new Canal Park was, Munson Stadium left much to be desired — made of metal (or, as we called it, tin), cramped facilities, tiny, dark, dank clubhouses.

Back then, being a member of a Minor League front office meant having a fancy schmancy title while assuming a variety of other responsibilities, most of which I’ve tried to forget over the last 13 years. I believe my fancy schmancy title was Director of Advertising and Publications. A typical workday, in addition to selling season tickets and billboards, involved pulling tarp, running the Dizzy Bat Race between innings, cleaning the stadium on a Sunday morning after a Saturday night game, and, when the concession folks failed to show up for work, selling beer and hot dogs.

For those not from Northeastern Ohio, here’s a little history lesson — in April and May and the first half of June, it rains, pretty much at some point, every day. The grounds crew wasn’t part of the front office staff — it was the front office staff. As soon as so much as a sprinkle would fall on the field, one of the higher-ups would scream “TARP!”, which meant drop whatever you’re doing, pull on your “tarp gear” and get out to the field.

That was the easy part. What I soon learned was that if the tarp is still on the field when the sun comes up the next day, the grass underneath will burn. So, in the event we had to leave the tarp on overnight, it would have to come off first thing in the morning.

I always dreaded that 6 a.m. phone call — “FOOTER!!! TARP!!! TWENTY MINUTES!!!”

I learned on Wednesday that not much has changed in that respect over the years. The facilities are better, but the job descriptions are largely the same. Here are a couple of shots of the “tarp crew” — a.k.a., Hooks front office staff — pulling the tarp onto the field after Wednesday’s game. Most will be back at 7:30 a.m. to take it off.




Astros are on Facebook

Follow Alyson Footer on Twitter  

Questions? Send to


“You ain’t seen nothing” as they say…until you have seen Citibank Ballpark in Midland TX. That’s right, the home of the Rockhounds. Seriously it’s not that bad, and it’s funny when I go to the Rocks/Hooks game and feel a tad uncomfortable cheering for the visiting team. Speaking of grounds crews, the one in Midland is a joke. Back in July it had been raining off and on for a couple of days. The forecast called for more rain overnight and into the morning but it had cleared up by noon. There was one problem…they “forgot” to put the tarp down the night before. Do what? It was comical getting to the park and watching the crew rake the dirt back and forth over the mud underneath (talk about spinning your wheels.) Then the managers, umps, etc. would walk around and kick their heels down in it. It was apparent to me that no one wanted to play the game for a couple of reasons: 1. It was the last game of the series and they were meeting again in a couple of weeks. 2. The ballpark wanted us to stay, drink beer and eat food as we watched this orchestrated event. After an hour and a 1/2 of changing the start time (if played) they announced the field was unplayable, but they would be open for another hour if we wanted to stay (translation=spend more $.) I gave them a hearty “BOOOO” and left. I was there to watch baseball people! Although, it was Thirsty Thursday…which means you get draft beer for 1/2 price.😉

We would have room for Locke in LF if we traded Carlos Lee. I like El Caballo as much as anyone and I think he’s a fantastic hitter, but we need prospects pretty badly to continue rebuilding our farm system. Especially infield prospects since that’s where our order is lacking in depth (even moreso since there’s a good chance we’ll lose Tejada to free agency for next season). Now, I’m not saying Drew Locke is a sure thing, but we have other outfielder prospects as well, and Lee would bring great value to the system and probably offload a lot of payroll as well.

speaking of pulling tarp, did you catch this video of the Greeneville Astros staff pulling the tarp? An intern takes a fall and they cover him up, players come out to help lift the tarp to get him out. Great fun.

Great story about Boone. As a baseball fan first, Cardinals fan second…I have always enjoyed watching Boone play. Seeing him hit the game winning home run for the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS is one of the memories that will stick with me for a long time.

Reading about your story about the “Pull Tarp” phone calls reminded me of stories that my friend has told me about. I would love working in baseball, but I think minor league baseball would eventually drive me nuts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: