Social Media notes: Exclusive nights and Tweet-ups…who’s in?
By now, we all know that Social Media has taken the world by storm. But it’s also filtered over to your Astros, from players joining Twitter to your friendly neighborhood blogger expanding the Social Media events at the ballpark from two in 2010 to eight in 2011.
First, Twitter. @hunterpence9 started the trend among Astros players last year, and if you follow him, you know he’s quite active in both giving some insight to his life and career as well as communicating with and responding to the fans who follow him. Ryan Rowland-Smith (@hyphen18) was already an active tweeter when he signed with the Astros over the offseason, and during Spring Training, several others jumped on the Twitter train: Chris Johnson (@cjastros23), Brian Bogusevic (@brianbogusevic) and, most recently, Brett Wallace (@brettwallace29), who joined on Sunday.
Still more up-and-comers are on Twitter as well: Drew Locke (@drewlocke24), J.D. Martinez (@jdmartinez20) and Jiovanni Mier (@jiomier). And don’t forget your non-playing personnel: MLB.com reporter Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart), radio announcer Brett Dolan (@astrosradio), yours truly (@alysonfooter) and two
other official Astros profiles: @astrosblast and @losastros.
That brings us to the next order of business: Social Media events at Minute Maid Park. Many of you participated in our Social Media nights in the Budweiser Patio last year, and we’re bringing them back — times three. We’ll host one per month, with the first taking place on April 16. Fittingly, Pence will join us for that one.
Tabbed “Exclusive Social Media Nights,” all events (at your urging) will be held on Saturdays. Tickets will cost $45, and for that, you will enjoy the following perks:
* A game ticket in the Budweiser Patio, located directly behind center field.
* A Social Media night t-shirt (and like last year, we’ll offer an array of men’s and women’s sizes)
* Dinner: what we serve will be up to the fans. We’ll offer three choices in advance of the events, and whatever receives the most votes, wins. And we don’t mean hot dogs and nachos. We’ll fill you up with Texas Burgers, or maybe sliders, or maybe chicken sandwiches. It’ll be up to you, and we’ll throw in a half-pint of Blue Bell Ice Cream to ensure no one goes home hungry.
* A 15-minute appearance by a player. For the first one, Pence will join us from 5 to 5:15 (game starts at 6) and will help hand out prizes — autographed baseballs and other signed items — that we’ll give away during our Twitter trivia contest. The contests will be conducted solely on Twitter.
* A mix and mingle with other Social Media fans. We hope you’ll take lots of pictures and post them on your Facebook pages as well as tweet about the fabulous time you’re having with your tweeps at the game.
The Budweiser Patio has always been a fantastic vantage point — you’re directly next to the bullpen and can watch the pitchers warm up from about 20 feet away — but this year it’ll be even better now that we’ve added a scoreboard in left field.
What’s the catch, you ask? Well…there is one. We’ll be offering the tickets for three days exclusively to my Twitter followers, before we open it up to the general public. You can access that profile here. I’ll send out a warning a day in advance of the tickets going on sale. The patio seats 108, so if you’re interested, you’ll want to act quickly once the link is posted. (The first one sold out in five days last year.) We’ll be selling these tickets a couple of
weeks in advance of each event, so look for tweets in the near future about April 16 only.
Here are the dates for the remaining Exclusive Social Media Nights:
Saturday, May 28 vs. Diamondbacks
Saturday, June 25 vs. Rays
Saturday, July 16 vs. Pirates
Saturday, August 20 vs. Giants
Saturday, September 24 vs. Rockies
We’ll host two Tweet-up Tuesdays in 2011, on June 14 (vs. Pirates) and Aug. 2 (vs. Reds). These are more informal events, with seating in the bullpen section. Tickets will be offered at a heavy discount — $15, down from the normal $27.
The bar area of the Bud Patio will be reserved for a mixer for Tweet-Up ticket holders. Once the game begins, we’ll move to our seats, and throughout the game, we’ll conduct trivia contests over Twitter. I’ll tweet a question and the first correct answer wins a prize (fans must be in attendance to claim the prize).
We will post the link to order Tweet-up tickets directly on this blog when they’re ready to go, so please check back.
Hope to see you at the ballpark for these fun, interactive events.
Speaking of giving stuff away, we got a sneak peek of a couple of bobbleheads the Astros are giving out in 2011. The full schedule of all promotional nights will be released in the very near future, but for now, enjoy the quick preview…
Bourn Gold Gloves Bobblehead — April 10
Pence Play Green Bobblehead — April 30