Minor League spotlight shines on the Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks.
The Corpus Christi Hooks were deemed by Baseball America as the eighth-best Minor League team heading into the 2012 season, and after just about three weeks of games, several players are helping justify that prediction.
The Corpus roster is comprised of many high Draft picks from the last few years and a lot of players whom the Astros acquired in Trade Deadline deals in the last two years. Let’s start with the most buzz-worthy of that group.
If you’re going to pay attention to only one Minor League player, make sure it’s Jon Singleton (above), the Astros’ No. 1 prospect and arguably the most intriguing piece the Astros received in the Hunter Pence trade.
During a nine-game hitting streak, Singleton is hitting 15-34 (.441) with three doubles, one triple, three homers, eight runs scored and nine RBIs. He has hits in 17 of his last 18 games and is 27-for-65 over those 18 games. For the season, Singleton is hitting .375 (27-for-72).
Kevin Chapman, whom the Astros acquired from Kansas City in the trade that sent Jason Bourgeois and Humberto Quintero during Spring Training, has allowed two earned runs over 11 innings (1.64 ERA) for the Hooks this season, spanning eight relief appearances. He has held opponents scoreless in his last four appearances, striking out six over 4 1/3 appearances.
Austin Wates (third-round pick, 2010) ended a seven-game hitting streak Friday night against Frisco, but is hitting .329 this season. He has 11 hits in his past eight games with one double, six runs scored and two RBIs. Heading into Friday’s game, he was hitting .353 vs. right-handed pitchers and .333 vs. lefties.
* Brandon Barnes, the Astros’ sixth-round pick in the ’05 Draft, is hitting .365 (27-for-74) over 19 games. He has 14 doubles, four homers and 19 RBS.
* Jake Goebbert is hitting .306 (19-for-62) with five doubles, one triple, two homers and 13 RBIs.
* Jarred Cosart, another top prospect acquired in the Pence trade, is 1-1 with a 3.38 ERA over three starts. He’s allowed five earned runs over 13 1/3 innings with nine walks and 13 strikeouts.
* Jason Stoffel, acquired from the Giants in the Jeff Keppinger trade last year, has allowed one earned run over 8 1/3 relief innings for a 1.08 ERA. He’s issued one walk and struck out nine.
* Andrew Simunic is hitting .389 with eight RBIs over 13 games.